Summer 2024: Days 1-3

Summer 2024 hasn't started the way I hoped.

Benji graduated high school last weekend, and then I departed for Vancouver for my company's annual work retreat. I missed the first evening, so it already felt abbreviated, but I was happy to see my coworkers and enjoy Canada for the first time. 

Unfortunately, I think I brought something with me to Canada besides my carry-on suitcase. After more than four years of avoiding it, I caught COVID-19. I started feeling symptoms Monday afternoon and passed it off as allergies, but by Tuesday evening I was wiped out. I managed a feverish six hours of sleep before leaving the hotel for an early flight, got home and slept for three and two hours. By that time, I figured it was just a cold, and an expired COVID test didn't indicate anything. I took Thursday off and slept some more, and Friday discovered two of my co-workers tested positive. I took a new test, and sure enough, it came up positive.

It hit so quickly Monday that I don't even think I caught COVID on the airplane (maybe in the cab from the airport?), but maybe at graduation. I then likely passed it along to my friends. It really hasn't been that bad. I didn't have anything worse than a low-grade fever after I got home, and my lung capacity was down a little but nothing like some of the bronchitis bouts I've experienced -- no wheezing or excessive coughing. Here on Day 8, I get a tickle in my throat and start coughing, take a cough drop, blow my nose, and it's over. The vaccine has worked -- this has felt nothing worse than a mild, hit-and-run cold. Except ...

Except, I'm exhausted. I just feel tired all the time. I did run this morning, which wasn't so bad, but it pooped me out for the day. And that's why I've sharing the blow-by-blow: The first weekend of summer was kind of a waste. I slept, did a jigsaw puzzle, watched storm coverage on YouTube, and was otherwise sedentary. I did grill yesterday and help Michael put together a shed, but the three days otherwise went boringly fast.

I really want this to be a great summer. With a lot of PTO built up, I want to enjoy adventures with both boys. I want to write more than I have during any summer. I want to get things done around the house, including clearing out the garage somewhat and getting the office ready for fall. I want to play video games and Strat-o-Matic. I want to lounge when I feel like lounging, but not waste the moments outside of that. 

So how does summer start? With me being tired from a virus I had managed to avoid for so long. Graduation and the work retreat were supposed to be the grand kickoff to summer. I'm thinking the grand kickoff might be waiting a week as I finish recovering.

At least I ran this morning, we'll see how tomorrow goes. The short workweek will help, but I will be dealing with the tasks I was looking forward to completing uninterrupted last week after the retreat. Summer 2024 is 103 days, and three so-so ones are already in the can. Maybe just writing a blog post, finally, after nearly six months, can be highlight to this inauspicious beginning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody did it better

Seems like yesterday, but it was long ago

Another Saturday night, and I ain't got nobody