Summer 2024: Days 18-24

I survived the last few days of work and made it to my reset break in Chicago, where I'm typing from tonight.

But I made it just barely.

The insomnia that was plaguing me last weekend continued through the week. The heat ramped up in Utah, and I had a few episodes of feeling dizzy. I've been watching what I eat all week, and I may have overcompensated and not consumed enough calories a couple days. I was so tired and couldn't wait for vacation to actually start when I flew out Friday evening.

Unfortunately, my flight was delayed into late Friday night/Saturday morning, so I just rebooked for Saturday morning. Alas, I didn't sleep well the night before and was exhausted on the flight (and I can never sleep on airplanes). My dad picked me up from the airport, we got Superdawg, and I tried napping after lunch.

The rest of the Saturday was better as I settled into a sort of Chicago experience that I'm hoping to get from this trip. I walked along the forest preserve, where I heard but didn't see many cicadas, then picked up Pequod's pizza for dinner. 

I managed to get a good night of sleep and woke up lake this morning, Father's Day. The next few hours were lazy as I ate the rest of my pizza, did puzzles and hung out with my dad and stepmom, and didn't rush anything. We went for another walk in the woods (saw more live cicadas this time), and when we returned, I zonked for a longer nap than I expected. When I woke up and showered, I quickly drove over to the used video game store in Harwood Heights, where I picked up a few cheap Atari and Intellivision games. 

Dad wanted to see "Inside Out 2," and we did at the Pickwick Theater in Park Ridge -- a huge old theater that I likely haven't seen a movie at in 30 years. The movie was fun, and we picked up Chipotle, after which we saw the rainbow pictured above.

I have six more days ahead, and I'm really hoping to proceed with the reset I was looking for this break. But for Father's Day I wasn't with my sons, this was a pretty good day -- and I got to spend it with my Dad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

The better-late-than-never solstice post