It's the end of the year as we know it

I have always found that the distance between Christmas and New Year's is not long enough. You get so focused toward Christmas, it passes, and you only have a week to reconcile yourself to the fact the year is ending. Many people judge the passing of time by the new year (as well as birthdays and anniversaries, of course, and I also get reflective every summer solstice). This is the week you get end-of-the-year recaps, end-of-the-year countdowns, best-of lists and all other things commemorating the fading year.

So yes, I'm surprised 2012 is almost here. I'm not surprised how 2011 went so quickly, though still a little amazed at how time seems to zip by -- I was reminded of that tonight when I realized we've owned Popcorn for almost five months now and Maggie for nearly a year.

What do I think about 2011? After a rough start (both cats dying), it was good. We have two new family members in Maggie and Popcorn, the boys are thriving in school, and we had a lot of fun. 2012 doesn't need as many milestones as it needs good days. The milestones will come naturally, but good days are something to strive for. We enjoyed plenty of good days in 2011. Can we top that in 2012? The quest to do so begins at 12:01 a.m., Jan. 1.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Nine days after the solstice

Treants