The Decembrist

I have songs for almost every month. Songs that I hear and take me back to a very specific time of the year. Songs that I play in my iPod when I'm walking outside and feel like going back.

I have January songs (e.g., "Jump" by Van Halen). March -- "Mr. Roboto" -- and April -- "While You See a Chance" by Steve Winwood. Not just '80s songs either: September harkens "Rush" by Big Audio Dynamite II and "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies. I have a hunch the recent "Safe and Sound" will be an October song for years to come.

But here's the odd thing: I don't have December songs. Any hits of Decembers past seem to meld into the memory of the winter afterward or the November before. In today's day and age, I could blame it on the nonstop bombardment of Christmas music on the radio, but in the '80s, when holiday songs weren't as prevalent, I know I was listening to Top 40 in December.

So I'm puzzled that I don't have songs for this month.And as I was trying to get away from Christmas music this month, I was a little befuddled where to turn to for some nostalgia. I'll hit the January and February songs after Jan. 1. But I didn't want to burn myself out on those playlists too soon. Hence, the confusion, and the realization I have no December songs.

This week, I'm back to listening to the Big 89 countdowns I've compiled into playlists. It fits. Later in the week, the Winter 1977-78 playlist on my new iPod (best Christmas present ever!) beckons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice