Galeb Duhr

The pain started last Thursday, quite suddenly. I'm always amazed how the little disruptors -- even if they turn into big disruptors -- come out of nowhere. I ran Thursday morning, made breakfast, started my work day, and everything was going well. A few hours later, I was in a doctor's office, writhing in pain and the fun was just beginning.

Several years ago, I got an ultrasound after wrenching my back, and the technician noticed that I had a kidney stone. I didn't think anything of it, and nothing ever came of it -- I just figured it passed without incident. I doubt this is the same kidney stone, but its descendant is pummeling me five days later.

After being diagnosed Thursday, I ended up in the ER on Friday evening after developing a fever. Of course, the fever broke during our nine-hour ER experience (including five in the waiting room), but the prognosis was solid -- no infection, and no surgery or procedure needed.

The last three afternoons have been tolerable, resting, eating a little, binge-watching Hogan's Heroes, and waiting for the stone to pass. The overnights have been worse -- the pain medication is good for pain but wreaked havoc with my usually reliable GI, exacerbating the kidney stone pain and keeping me awake. 

Today was better. I'm not as worried about the GI issues, and the actual pain from the kidney stone, though still gnawing a little, hasn't been terrible. I'm ready for it to pass. However, to borrow from Dungeons and Dragons, this Galeb Duhr of a kidney stone is a curious entity that doesn't want to leave, preferring to stand sentinel over my urology. 

I've been told to also not work tomorrow, and I already have cleared off my schedule. Hopefully, the passing will pass soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice