A joyful dinner

It's been a rough week -- we're having problems with Eldest's preschool, something hopefully I'll address in another post -- but we had a nice dinner tonight at Chili's, of all places. I want to relate two things that made it joyful:

-- Eldest didn't eat a lot, but after two really antsy minutes, he settled down and was good the rest of the meal. I brought a train for him to play with, Salty (from Thomas the Tank Engine), who has a Scottish accent. I tried imitating the voice for him, but it sounded like the old sea captain on The Simpsons instead. After my bad impression, Eldest, as he played with the train, mimicked my bad Scottish accent, making his voice so gruff he had to cough a couple times.

-- Littlest ate almost a whole plate of macaroni and cheese. I don't know where the skinny guy puts it. He tried to use his spoon, too, and did a good job with it for an 18-month-old. No complaints, no fussing, he just sat there and ate, and ate.

As I said, it was a rough week, particularly a rough day, but on the way to the restaurant, the song "More Today Than Yesterday" came on the radio. You know, "I love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow." I looked at my boys and realized how true that statement is, and that was one more joy for a rough Thursday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice