One day all 7 will die

Prince died today. Only 57. And it's not like he died after years of chemical abuse or a bizarre lifestyle -- he generally was not that reckless compared to other rock stars (how Keith Richards has outlived so many of his peers is beyond me).
 
I'm not taking this as hard as when David Bowie died back in January, but it is a little humbling that musicians I listened to in my youth -- ones whose songs offered some sort of impact in my life -- are dying off. I loved most of "Purple Rain" in 1984, came to appreciate his older stuff, and promised myself but never followed through that I needed to listen to more of his less commercial stuff that is supposed to be simply amazing. 
 
 
Anyway, I've been listening to his songs all day, posted some things on Facebook, and reading what others are saying. Looked up a lot of lyrics and was surprised how many I've been singing wrong over the years. With that in mind, here are my five favorite Prince lyrics (I couldn't even begin to come up with five favorite Prince songs, though "7" -- which I borrowed a line for the title of this post, probably would be one ...):

1. "Hey, I ain't got no money, but honey I'm rich on personality"
2. "Every time I comb my hair, thoughts of you get in my eyes"
3. "Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing, but different than the day before/That's when I saw her, ooh I saw her, she walked in through the out door, out door"
4. "Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of, boy versus girl in the World Series of love"

And because I had to have one dirty Prince lyric in this list (and there are a lot of good ones):

5. "Hey Ducky, let me stick the 7-inch in the computer."

Finally, favorite Prince lyric from a song he wrote for someone else:

"He tells me in his bedroom voice, 'Come on honey, let's go make some noise' "

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice