Summer 2017: Days 4-26

I'm a little disappointed. That was a long stretch without recording summer, and I feel like I'm giving up to easy. And in the meantime, two weeks have passed since school ended for the boys.

Out of the gate, the adjustment to summer is tricky, and I've just been tired most nights to want to write. We've been busy, but not that busy.

So here I am, Father's Day, June 18, my 26th day of summer, and I need to try recapping the last three weeks. Here goes nothing ... and everything:

  • Ben and I went to a Real Salt Lake game on Day 4. We hadn't seen a game since maybe 2013, and I don't think we've seen a game in which RSL scored until 2011. And they won! 1-0. We filled up on barbecue before the game (it was a team event for the boys' swim teams), and got out quickly after finding a good parking spot before game time.
  • We went to the JCC pool for the first time this summer on Day 5.
  • Memorial Day was Day 6. Actually worked some of it. Michael and I also cleared out the patio.
  • Chaperoned the upper grades on a field trip to Crystal Hot Springs on Day 8. Fun, old school water slides, and I got to soak.
  • Day 9 was the last soccer practice of the season, the parent-kid game that is always fun. Ben played his last baseball game of the season.
  • Day 10 was the last day of school. Egad, I now have an eighth-grader and a sixth-grader.
  • Michael played in a basketball tournament days 10-11, and his team went 2-2. He played really well but got beat up a bit (as he usually does as the tallest kid on the court).
  • Day 11 was the last soccer game of the season for Ben's team, and we had the end-of-season party at our friends' backyard pool. The kids loved it, and I got pushed in by my players. Brought three extra pizzas home; they were gone by morning.
  • Day 12 was a Sunday in which we worked on the backyard, pruning bushes and clearing vegetation.
  • Day 13 was Ben's first early swim practice of the summer. He also had his first official Boy Scout meeting.
  • Day 14 was a swim meet for Michael. He swam all right; his fly looks better than ever.
  • On Day 16, we spent the afternoon at Maureen's pool again, and each kid got to bring a friend. I was busy with work and never even jumped in.
  • Day 18 was a Saturday without any sports. Lori, Ben and I hit some garage sales, and then the boys and I went to Ben's end-of-season league baseball party. He won a water bottle. We pulled stuff to the curb for the bulk pickup.
  • I took Popcorn to the H Rock to watch the sunset on Day 19.
  • The boys had basketball camp days 20-23. I worked at some new coffee shops this week and tried some new teas.
  • The weather turned cold and rainy on Day 20, but we needed it.
  • The skies cleared enough for another swim meet for Michael on Day 21
  • On Day 22, I played pickup basketball with Michael, his swim coach, and a couple other swim dads. Damn, Michael is getting good ...
  • Ben had a swim meet days 23-25. It was a tough meet for him; he struggled in this same pool last year. After his last evening session, we went for handmade ice cream sandwiches at a new shop in Fashion Place Mall.
  • Today was Day 26, Father's Day. We all hiked to Bloods Lake near Guardsman's Pass. I lounged in the sun in the backyard, went to Smith's with Michael, then grilled burgers for dinner. We watched "Beauty and the Beast" and Skyped with my dad.
There was more. I promise, I'll make it a priority tomorrow night ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Nine days after the solstice

Treants