Summer 2018: Day 47

My Fourth of July started early: Ben had swim practice at 8 a.m., and I took him in and hiked with the dog for about 90 minutes. I have this goal to hike to the top of a mini-peak near the JCC, but the path up it is narrow, currently surrounded by tall grass on both sides, and has the potential of a "Princess Bride" moment rolling down the mountainside if you make a wrong step. I didn't want to run into a rattlesnake this morning, so instead we walked along the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. That was more than enough for Popcorn because the sun was already beating down on her at 9 a.m.

When we got home, we attended the neighborhood parade for what I think is the 15th time -- I believe we have gone every year since we moved here. Nothing to spectacular this year, and we didn't stay too long; we were tired, and I had already eaten when I got home from the hike. Still, the parade is always nice, and this year had an added bonus unusual for what normally is a majority LDS event: a bloody mary bar! I don't like tomato juice but appreciated the new feature.

After the parade, we were lazy. I napped and then baked a little in the heat, doing math puzzles, listening to classic American Top 40, and cooling off via the hose multiple times. Michael read and watched TV, and Ben hung out with his neighbor friend. I grilled for dinner, and Ben and I watched "Hot Shots" on the DVR. Sugar House Park isn't hosting fireworks this year, and we weren't in the mood to go anyplace else, so my night is culminating with some writing on the porch. In my mind, that's the definition of a holiday in the truest sense. Happy birthday America!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice