Decadent

I declared this to Wife a few days ago, and I'm reiterating it for everyone else -- this decade that is coming to a close was officially a blur.

What brought the blur into focus was remembering working the night of Y2K -- 10 years ago. It doesn't seem that long ago.

So what blurred this decade so brilliantly? Kids? 30s? Just being busier, trying to get through every day, week and month that we don't appreciate each day, week and month? I'm not sure. I just know the 1970s, '80s and '90s didn't zoom like this.

Twenty years ago, celebrating New Year's Eve with some friends, I tried to explain the significance of the 1980s to them, each of whom were born in or around 1970. I wanted to explain how we defined ourselves by the previous 10 years, and how the '80s were what we knew best. Unfortunately, after several beverages, I didn't make as much sense as I wanted, starting off by saying "The last decade lasted 10 years ..."

Twenty years later, I'm looking at this last decade as being even more defining. Let's hope that continues in the 2010s -- but just not as fast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice