Up and running

I'm running the Wasatch Back again this year, and I'm starting to get really jazzed about it.

Just one little issue -- I'm not in the same shape I was last year, and I'm a little nervous about it.

Last year, I seemed to just have more time to run and the weather wasn't quite as unpredictable. Then I was slowed down by a cold last week. I made it out tonight and ran 60 minutes -- which is my best this year and I was happy about it and felt pretty good -- but now I'm worried I'm accidentally tapering a few weeks too early after not getting out in several days. I was a little lighter last year too, and though I've lost about eight pounds since Easter, I still feel a little slower. (It didn't help that after my hour run, I was so hungry when I got home that I ate a ham and cheese on rye with some chocolate milk. It's a lot of protein, which is good, but more calories than I needed).

The van I'm going to be in is filled with more experienced runners, so I might get off with three of the easier legs. I'm nervous about the longer legs (6-7 miles, a distance I could handle last year but am not so confident about this year), and the legs I ran last year got tougher. On the other hand, I know what to expect this year and how to approach 36 hours of this.

The relay is 22 days away, and I shouldn't sound so negative. It's going to be a lot of fun, and I have to remember that I did better than I thought I would last year, mostly because of some extra adrenaline -- adrenaline not quite there on my training runs. And after my good run tonight, I should do a better job convincing myself that I will be ready enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice