A long long time ago

After writing last week about Walter Payton's incredible 1977 season, I started reminiscing more about that winter. I picture it very dark and cold -- perhaps the first time in my seven years I had noticed what winter in Chicago was all about (basically, cold, dark and snowy). I guess we were driving more places in the evening (which, in Chicago December, starts about 4:30 p.m.), because I remember the music from this winter rather vividly (and I wasn't listening to too much radio outside of the car). "Saturday Night Fever" was huge this winter as disco was exploding. And in the winter of 1977-78, I saw "Star Wars" for the first time.

"Star Wars" was released in May 1977, but I didn't see it until several months later. We moved houses in 1977; my mother, who wouldn't get her license until the next year still wasn't driving yet; I had two little sisters that wouldn't have made it through a sci-fi movie; and my dad worked a lot of nights. It's not blame, just circumstances -- we didn't see the biggest movie sensation (at that time) simply because we probably never got around to it. But I was a "Star Wars" fan nonetheless. My friends had seen the movie and had loved it, the theme song was all over the radio, and I collected Star Wars trading cards and stickers.

Finally that winter, I got to see the movie that had become my favorite without even seeing it. The dad of two of my friends took us (remember, seeing "Star Wars" more than once was pretty normal) to the Norridge Theater to see it. The old Norridge used to house four giant theaters -- and by giant, there were three aisles intersecting the seats, not three, and the screens were so wide, so much wider than you would find today (alas, the Norridge is now 10 screens in the same building). I can picture the seats we sat in as we waited for the movie to begin. Mr. Schellhorn (my friends' dad) asked me if I was familiar with the characters of the movie. Of course I was familiar with them! I had collected all the trading cards. In fact, I had an idea of what the plot of the movie would be simply from the Star Wars cards.

Well, I found out the plot was different than what I gathered from the cards, which could only capture one image at a time. That didn't matter, the plot was even better than I could have imagined. "Star Wars" exceeded my 7-year-old brain's expectations. If you love "Star Wars" (and I understand, there are people, possibly misguided, who don't), remember how blown away you were the first time you saw it. Multiply that if you were a child. Michael loved "Star Wars" the first time he saw it, and even though 30 years have passed its initial release, it still affected him like it did me -- like no other movie has sucked him into fandom so far (though "Cars" came close).

I can't even figure out how many times I've seen "Star Wars" since that first viewing 34 years ago. It's been at least five times at the theater, dozens of time on TV and video. I collected the trading cards. I collected a few action figures (I was more into Micronauts starting around this time). I played the board game. I got a Star Wars watch for my first Communion. I read books and comic books. I watched the "Star Wars" holiday special and recognized it as crap, even as an 8-year-old. Eventually, I saw all the sequels (and I can remember where and with whom I saw all the sequels), played many of the video games, and remained a fan.

Is it possible as an adult to feel the sense of wonder toward something new, exciting and amazing the same way you do as a kid? I suppose we do, but we've learned to temper our expectation, to tamp down our enthusiasm. I want to re-collect the Star Wars cards from my youth, find the same watch I owned in 1978, and play the board game. I already own the two giant "Star Wars" comic books again via eBay.

We were in the movie theater the other day and saw a poster for "The Phantom Menace," which is being re-released in 3-D. Michael immediately noticed the poster and seemed excited at the prospect. Episode I (that's one, not "I") wasn't that good, and yes, George Lucas is releasing it again just to make more money and to screw with the original Star Wars legacy -- the legacy the original legion of fans wish wouldn't get tinkered with any more -- but I might take him to see it. He's still early in his Star Wars fandom, and I'm sure he will love it. I will probably like it, too.

Here's one other sure consequence of that first time I saw "Star Wars" at the Norridge when I was 7: When we get a blu-ray player, I know the first discs we are going to buy -- the special edition "Star Wars" set with all six movies, documentaries and deleted scenes. Those discs will replace the DVDs of the movies I already own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice