Pool and court

The boys' basketball seasons resume this week. They had practices last month, and the games start Tuesday for Ben and Wednesday for Michael. I am coaching both teams, though I don't think it will be as crazy as coaching two soccer teams like I did in 2010-11. At least with basketball, I kind of know what I'm doing, and because they play on different nights and the league doesn't provide any additional practices, it's only two evenings a week for an hour. Piece of cake, right?

Well, perhaps because we didn't feel we weren't schedule-challenged enough, we signed the boys up for swimming, which also starts this week. Ben is doing lessons, which started today. We are hoping he progresses enough in the next three months that if he wanted to join swim team with his brother for the summer, he will be skilled enough to do so. Michael is signed up for swim workout -- offseason swim practices (his swim team only competes during the summer) twice a week. Conveniently, neither child swims on a day he plays basketball.

In the meantime, I ran today for the first time in months. Not very far -- just a 20-minute run/walk on the indoor track while Ben was swimming. This is how my year goes from September when it comes to me working out: I almost stop in September as I try to adjust to the new schedule for the boys (this year, this was compounded by the new puppy), I gain 10 pounds before the year ends, I start running (with an eye on the Wasatch Back rely in June) and working out again in January, I lose the 10 pounds by summer, I get back from vacation in August and stop running, and the whole process starts over. This year, I'd love to get a race or two in this spring, lose at least 20 pounds instead of 10, and not fall off the running wagon come September. Today was the first of many, many steps.

Chaotic, right? In other words, back to normal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice