Summer 2020: Days 63-66

The first half of the staycation ended, and I resumed work today. I'm already looking forward to the second half of staycation, starting Saturday.

On Friday, we ventured out to the Bonneville Salt Flats in the west desert. I had never been on the salt before, and it was definitely surreal. We let Ben drive for the first time, and he did all right, even if he wanted to use both feet and sped up a little in turns (he never drove faster than 25 mph, so we were OK). Michael loved zipping across the salt, and we let him drive home. The day wasn't super exciting, but we still got away from the city, took a picnic with, and enjoyed far-away scenery.

The rest of the weekend was somewhat low key. I looked for a birthday present for Lori on Saturday and Sunday and even chanced going into Savers, where I found a Nintendo 64 console for $5 for Michael, who is really into retro video games right now. I lounged in the sun and did logic puzzles in the yard Saturday; Ben and his friends played Dungeons and Dragons on the patio Sunday. I watched a lot of movies the last few days, including "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and "Spotlight."

Today, I returned to work. I was fearing the fresh hell that awaited me when I went into my inbox (which I didn't look at once the previous 10 days), but it wasn't so bad. The day went quickly even though I worked more than nine hours. I managed two walks with the dog today, and a brief thunderstorm breezed through in the late afternoon.

Four days until more time off, and I'm planning on being a little more organized for the second swath of staycation, including more writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice