50 for 50: 2007

YEAR: 2007

AGE: Turned 37 on Nov. 6

LOCATION: SLC, Ramona Avenue

JAZZ'S RECORD: 51-31

SONGS I LIKED: "Makes Me Wonder" by Maroon 5; "Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven; "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol

TV SHOWS I WATCHED: "How I Met Your Mother";  "Law and Order"; "Kitchen Nightmares"

VIDEO GAMES I PLAYED: Mario Kart DS; Brain Age

When Michael was born, and then Ben, I was working nights. With Lori working days, we didn't need to find daycare. Five mornings and afternoons a week, the boys and I hung out and had fun. Sure, they watched some TV, but not a crazy amount. I would have gone stir crazy if we were in the house all day, every day, and I believed that being a great dad meant, among other things, that every day should include a little adventure.

For our little adventures, I was always prepared.

The Eddie Bauer diaper bag we had, though unisexed, was clearly designed with a dad in mind. It was mostly blue with some brown pad, not that big, and sufficiently pocketed 

I kept our first running stroller somewhat stocked with a blanket, snacks, diapers, wipes, and drinks -- and we walked (and occasionally ran) with it often, to the point I wore down several tires on it. When we upgraded to a double stroller, I bought a specific accessory for it that gave me cup holders, a zipper pocket, and another pouch I could put a small cassette/radio into so we could listen to music on our walk.

What I did with our Subaru Outback, however, represented the pinnacle of prepared, adventurous parenting. I created something I called the Mobile Dad Station.

My initiative was nothing more than a couple metal crate-type things that you might store stuff in a laundry room or a home office (in fact, the crates are currently in my office ...). I wedged them against the back seat in the station wagon hatch, taking up most of the width but, surprisingly, not that much space -- we could still easily fit groceries or suitcases back there.

I stocked the Mobile Dad Station with anything our adventures necessitated, whether the need was spontaneous or just convenient. Items included:

  • Snacks
  • Drink boxes
  • Sippy cups
  • Diapers and wipes
  • Extra clothes, including sweatshirts, socks, gloves, and hats
  • Sunscreen
  • Swim trunks
  • Towels
  • Hiking guides
  • Small toys (e.g., sand and water toys, Hot Wheels, action figures, Happy Meal toys)
  • Stuff to keep dad non-bored (e.g., a small paperback, a book of number puzzles)
  • Paper towels
  • Disposable silverware

I was proud of the Mobile Dad, and we made the most of it. I know of one trip to the pool in which we forgot to bring swim trunks for Michael ... but, voila, we had a pair in the car to use. 

Although we took the stroller for many walks, we drove to many adventures over the next few years, such as finding a park in the suburbs we never had been to or going for a hike in the mountains. When preschool began for both boys, there were playdates and field trips and volunteering, and I knew whatever fun awaited, we'd be ready.

The late 2000s were all about the boys. Of course, the last 17 years have been all about the boys, but through Michael finishing kindergarten, this time was all about driving them where they needed to be, keeping them entertained, and making sure they were safe, happy, fed, and rested. They might not remember much from this era, but the experiences they had as toddlers and preschoolers, were so important for them.

And they were important for me. Many fathers don't get the opportunity I had, which is part of the reason why I was so persistent with creating the Mobile Dad Station. I was determined that no adventure, big or small, would be missed. 

The adventures have changed, and we have a few more years left before the boys empty-nest us. There might not be a crate of snacks or extra clothes in the trunk anymore, but I'm determined that none of these adventures will be missed, either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice