Summer 2022: Days 23-34

The last 12 days have been a whirlwind of activity, travel, emotions, and transition. Do I go backward or forward as I recap?

I'll start in the middle: I traveled to Scottsdale, Arizona, for my company's annual retreat. As a remote organization, we don't see each other much, so these 3-4 days are special. The weather was ungodly hot in Arizona, and the pools at the five-star resort felt like bathwater and weren't so refreshing. But everything indoor was heavily air-conditioned, and the outdoor activities had giant misters blasting. And the water slides were fun. Most importantly, I got to see coworkers and, especially, hang out with good friends that I only communicate with on Slack and Zoom. The event goes by too fast, but the next one is not even 11 months away. 

I flew back Wednesday afternoon and got about 15 minutes in the house before Lori, Ben and I hit the road to drive to Grand Junction, Colorado, for a swim meet. We stayed in an Airbnb that worked out really well. Ben swam just OK, but the trip itself was fun. We didn't get to see too much of the scenery (I was still working Thursday and Friday) -- and after four days in Arizona I wasn't in a hurry to experience more heat. Plus, we hit some rain on Sunday, so we just drove home, with Lori powering through behind the wheel for the entire drive. 

Today was July 4, and my sabbatical officially starts tomorrow. It sort of started Friday when I logged off, but this still feels like a long holiday weekend -- I'm thinking it really kicks in tomorrow. I did a few things on my sabbatical list today: laundry, grilling, book purging, and a trip to the Container Store (I didn't buy anything ... yet). 

The sad news today was a mass shooting at a parade in Highland Park, Illinois, in which six people were killed. The last couple weeks have been jarring, including the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade. We're all feeling a little helpless.

But summer marches on, and I have six weeks of no work ahead of me. Let the Joe-batical begin!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice