April, 26 years ago

At work tonight, I was listening to Live 365, which broadcasts users' own Internet radio stations. The particular channel I "dialed" to featured the Top 40 from this week in 1982, sans Casey Kasem. It's no secret if you read this blog how nostalgic I can get, particularly from music. In a short span of hits, a wave of memories flooded back:

-- "That Girl" by Stevie Wonder took me back to playing baseball at Oriole Park that year, and the old-fashioned candies we were selling as a fund-raiser instead of raffle tickets. I can still taste those candies.

-- "I've Never Been to Me" by Charlene reminds me of a barbecue in my Grandma Elsie's backyard that Memorial Day. I have no idea why, maybe we had the radio on back there and it came on.

-- " '65 Love Affair" by Paul Davis reminds me of going to one of my Dad's softball games, a tournament at some park I'd never been to. I was listening to the countdown on a transistor radio.

-- "Do You Believe in Love" by Huey Lewis and "Did It in a Minute" by Hall and Oates brings back a softball practice my dad had at Schurz Field, with myself listening to the same radio.

-- "867-5309" by Tommy Tutone reminds me of a trip to the Harlem-Irving Plaza (The HIP) with my friends on a cloudy day.

I have playlists from so many seasons and years from the '80s, I should try recreating the countdowns, again sans Casey Kasem. I've done that with the year-end countdowns, why not with some key weekly lists. The danger there is I start buying tracks off iTunes of songs I don't remember. It might be worth the expense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Nine days after the solstice

Vacation finale