Summer 2018: Days 83-86

Thursday, I was a dad with two grade-schoolers. Friday, of my two boys, only one is in grammar school.

Michael's first day of high school was Friday, and I'm still in disbelief that my little dude nearly 15 years after he was born is a freshman. Lori and I drove him to school and walked him down to where the orientation was starting. Upperclassmen were helping guide people through, and then lined the halls as the new freshmen walked into the auditorium. We didn't follow him in -- just said goodbye and headed to the cafeteria where parents could congregate for coffee. Lori and I hung out and talked to some other parents, which was perfect because we didn't have time to be sad over Michael's momentous milestone. Instead, we drove home and started our workday.

We managed to get some details out of him when he got home, but in typical Michael fashion, he didn't share too much. And I must admit, after nine years at his old school, where parents could be involved in everything, not being able to just go into school and be part is going to be weird for a little while. I half wanted to sit in on every introduction he had. But he's moved on from that, and we must, too. Imagine how this will feel when Ben starts high school.

As for the rest of this grouping of days:

  • Uneventful Thursday. Took the dog for a decent walk.
  • Ben and I had a water balloon fight Friday. He needed to do something outside, and we had 100 automatic-fill water balloons left from the soccer party in June. I grilled kebabs Lori bought for dinner.
  • Spent too long in Costco trying to get a prescription filled Saturday. Took a nap in the backyard in the sun. Grilled ribs bought from Costco for dinner.
  • Took Ben and one of his friends to the pool today. Got to relax, do some puzzles, swim, and enjoy my Sunday. Ben had been going stir crazy and needed some hanging-out time with his friends. Grilled hot dogs and brats for dinner. Ben and I played some board games (Machi Koro, Ticket to Ride card game, 7 Wonders Duel) in the evening.
  • And the haze is still lingering ...
We're in the home stretch for summer. Next week doesn't have to go so fast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice