Coronavirus Chronicles: On the road

I've been alternating between optimistic and gloomy all day.

On one hand, I think the social distancing is moderately working and that people have mostly adjusted to the new temporary reality. I'm seeing more masks worn, fewer groups that shouldn't be gathering, and a general acceptance of sheltering in place. I think that, despite the bad statistics, people see an end in sight -- even if it's weeks off -- and that we can cautiously endure until then

Yet, there's a small but noisy segment who wants the social distancing to end now, a potential spike in deaths and probably even more damage to the economy be damned. I worry that the lockdown measures will be pulled back too soon, there will be another spike in June and we'll be back to sheltering in place, and all the isolation and financial pain that was undertaken to stop the pandemic will be for naught.

These are things beyond our family's control. The best we can do is continue to follow the recommended guidelines, only venture out to stores as needed, and be patient. If the out-and-about economy reopens to soon, no one is forcing us to participate in it until we're ready. Our favorite restaurant might be seating people eventually, but we can still order pickup or delivery instead.

And that's what I don't think all this clamor to get back to normal overlooks: Just because the restrictions are relaxed doesn't mean consumers will actually want to shop again, or go out to eat, or go to a movie, or will be eager to return to the office. The process needs to be slow and patient, but I fear an urge to sprint will just make things worse.

Again, I need to stick to a news embargo. I took two vacation days because I haven't taken one since my birthday (and before that, August) and we were supposed to be on vacation this week -- and I swore to stay off the news, but I didn't. There is so much out of my control, but if I focus on what I can control -- including avoiding what will just piss me off -- I'll stay more on the optimistic side than the gloomier mood.

Michael and I got out of the house today for a long drive, which definitely brightened my attitude. He drove and I just admired the view. We went up Emigration Canyon, proceeded to Rockport Resevoir, cut through Kamas to Heber City, traversed Provo Canyon, and drove back home. The little road trip reminded me that the pandemic hasn't canceled blue skies, mountain vistas, and time with my son.

Popcorn and I went for a long walk in the evening. The day was invigorating all around, despite the optimism/gloom struggle I'm experiencing. I'm so looking forward to driving Ben someplace semi-far away this weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice