Coronavirus Chronicles: This is why we flatten

We're up to Day 23 (at least by my count here in Utah) since the pandemic and social distancing and, eventually, sheltering in place began. Oddly, last week kind of zoomed by -- I wasn't struggling to the weekend finish line like I had the first two weeks. I'm looking at my week ahead and thinking it will be mellow. Plus, the forecast is for temperatures in the 60s all week. Optimistically, four weeks of this remain, although I'm steeling myself for seven. Sunny skies, warm temperatures, and soon-to-be green trees should make the hiatus more bearable.

People are going to need every ounce of optimism, because government officials are beginning to give us the "Hold on to your butts" warning as the pandemic is set to start peaking the next two weeks. We have one more grocery trip to make and can probably go 2-3 weeks without needing to go again.

Michael has been a bit stir crazy, but he's enjoyed some reprieves just driving around. However, I didn't realize that Ben hadn't left our block/immediate neighborhood (to run) in three weeks. He's stressing out more about all this than Michael is, both from a worried point of view as well as missing school, swim, and friends. So, I got him out last night to watch the sunset -- not far, but out of our immediate neighborhood.

Of course, a band of clouds pulled over the horizon right as the sun was scheduled to set. The view was still outstanding and something we both needed. I promised him we'll try again on a clearer evening this week.

I feel sad the boys' lives are on hold because of the pandemic. We're lucky and privileged that we're healthy, have space to be outside at a safe social distance, that Lori and I are both working remotely, and that our worst trouble is that we're bored and antsy. Yes, kids, both throughout history and currently in other parts of the country and the world, aren't as fortunate. But I still can be a little bummed that they're stuck in this crisis when they should be experiencing more than a Zoom classroom and shelter-in-place order.

I hope they understand that although this sucks, the isolation is saving so many lives and will hasten a return to normal -- and that they did their part. I also hope they remember that a gorgeous sunset might always be fewer than 24 hours away.

Comments

JoAnne said…
Nicely said. Blessings to you and your family. Hugs ����

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice