Summer 2020: Days 6-9

The heat returned to Salt Lake City. The fires are burning nationwide.

Temperatures climbed into the 80s on Thursday and into the 90s Friday, staying there all weekend.

The protests/riots following the death of George Floyd have dominated the news the last few days. A police car was set aflame in downtown Salt Lake City yesterday, and we watched the situation unfold for the rest of the evening. The police mostly handled the situation well and didn't escalate the tension -- unlike other cities where the police seemed to make thing worse -- and there wasn't as much violence as there could have been. Tactically, the police got most people to just go home, a few were arrested for being assholes, and the ones who wanted to be arrested were peaceably and respectfully arrested.

I was so nervous we were headed for much more destruction. There is so much anger and uncertainty and frustration in our country right now, and my heart breaks a little to see the boys trying to process it all.

The mayor set a curfew Saturday night that covered all day today, so I didn't get out for anything more than walking the dog around the block. That led to a mellow Sunday. I sat out in the sun for a while and worked on some logic puzzles, and Ben and I had a water fight -- and the water from the hose is so cold but felt good in the heat (and probably got my heart rate up more than anything today). We watched "Fantastic Mr. Fox" in the late afternoon/early evening. I managed to get the dog around the block again, and the temperatures haven't cooled off much.

Oh, Ben graduated Friday, which I plan to write about in another post. The curfew lifts in the morning, and I'm itching to get out for a run before starting my workday -- and before the heat sets in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice