50 for 50: 1970-71

In 50 days, I turn 50 years old. That sounds like the perfect impetus to start an ambitious blog initiative, scan a bunch of old pictures, and write about one of my favorite subjects: me!

The fact 50 is so close hasn't quite sunk in yet. I don't feel 50, all the creaks and odd gray hairs not withstanding. Writing a post a day until my birthday, each focusing on a different year, isn't an entirely original idea, but I believe it will be fun and, of course, get me writing at a time, post summer, I'm usually not writing much.

I'm starting with the two months of 1970 and all of 1971, then will take it a year at a time. I hope not to recap so much as to tell a story from each year.

YEAR: 1970-71

AGE: Not even a year old, at least until Nov. 6, 1971

LOCATION: Chicago, apartment on Kildare and Irving Park

CUBS' RECORD: 83-79

OK, so I don't have many stories to tell when I was an infant. I talked with my mother about the apartment on Kildare -- our family's first residence after they got married and I was born -- across from the Irving Park YMCA. The place wasn't too small, but only one bedroom, and for my christening party, they crammed the entire extended family in to celebrate. I had second cousins a few years older than me, but on both my mom's and dad's side, I was the first kid of the next generation. I was quite the superstar!

We didn't stay on Kildare for long, and my reign as the only superstar was destined to end when my sister would eventually join us. But, as I type this, I'm coming to realize what that first year must have been like for my parents, who were so young. 

Lori and I weren't quite as young, but for a couple years, it was just Michael and us. That's not to discount how wonderful Ben is and truly, awesomely blessed that our family grew from three to four. (For the record, I don't begrudge that Julie arrived into the world in 1972.)

However, there's a slightly different bond and kind of a unique experience and set of memories when it is just three. I can't imagine my life without Ben, but I also can't not cherish that wondrous time when our family was so new and Michael was the star.

And that's my takeaway from my first 14 months on earth: It doesn't belong to me as much it does Mom and Dad -- as well as my grandparents, great grandparents, godparents, aunts, uncles, second cousins, my parents' friends, and the far-flung relatives I barely remember. Thank you for loving me from the start, and thank you for a wonderful 1971, even if I recall none of it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice