50 for 50: 1975

YEAR: 1975

AGE: Turned 5 on Nov. 6

LOCATION: Chicago, McVicker Ave.

SONG I LIKED: "Black Water" by the Doobie Brothers

TV SHOWS I LIKED: "Garfield Goose"; "Electric Company"

BEARS' RECORD: 4-10


In 1975, I started kindergarten and was already kind of reading, mostly thanks to plenty of kids' books that were in the house and public television. My sister Jenny was born five days before my fifth birthday. We had an Irish setter named Lady, after the Styx song of the same name, who ran away. I think my dad had a 1969 Mustang convertible this year, replaced by a brand new Buick Century that started falling apart on us by 1978.

My most lasting experience from this year was the beginning of summer becoming my favorite season.

I think I've written about this before but can't find the original post: Going to a drive-in movie one perfect summer evening. From our house on McVicker, I imagine the path must have taken us down Naragansett to Nagle and to Superdawg (this might have been my first time to at my favorite hot dog place), then up Milwaukee several miles to the Twin Drive-In in Wheeling -- if that's where we saw it. I'm assuming it was because it we wouldn't have hit Superdawg otherwise if we were just going to the drive-in across from the HIP (which is long, long gone).

The movie we saw was "Escape to Witch Mountain," which I don't have much of an affinity for, but the music along the way on the radio made the impression that's lasted all these decades later. The songs include:

  • "Sister Golden Hair" by America
  • "Killer Queen" by Queen
  • "Listen to What the Man Said" by Paul McCartney and Wings
  • "Only Yesterday" by the Carpenters
  • "One of These Nights" by the Eagles
  • "I'm Not in Love" by 10cc
  • "Love Will Keep us Together" by Captain and Tenille

Those were probably enough songs to get us to Wheeling. Hearing "Sister Golden Hair" as the sun was setting driving northwest has stuck with me so much that I listen to it every year when I write my annual summer solstice post.

Whether summer became my favorite season at that point or it happened later because school let out, I can't say. Despite the fact I hated the water and summer generally included swimming, I still loved summer days and summer nights. This adventure to the drive-in is the first summer memory -- and there have been hundreds since.

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice