50 for 50: 2018

YEAR: 2018

AGE: Turned 48 on Nov. 6

LOCATION: SLC, Ramona Avenue

CUBS' RECORD: 95-68

TV SHOWS I WATCHED: "Young Sheldon"; "Law and Order: SVU"

MOVIES I SAW: "Avengers: Infinity War"; "Bohemian Rhapsody"; "Deadpool 2"

One of the gazillion joys of being parent is those moments when everything your children do -- and everything you've done for them -- seem to crystallize into a perfectly proud accomplishment.

I'm sure every parent experiences this through the years -- it's not unique. If I may brag, at my high school graduation, I won an award that I had no idea was coming, as the senior who best exemplified the spirit and principles of the school. I was more stunned than anything, and didn't quite put myself in my parents' shoes as they saw me walk up to get the award.

As a parent myself, I realize, that moment must have totally rocked their world.

OK, bragging over. At least the bragging about Joey the 17-year-old.

In 2018, after nine years at the Open Classroom -- the charter school Michael started attending as a kindergartner -- he graduated. I know he was just graduating eighth grade, but the range of emotions swirling in my brain during the ceremony were powerful. I thought about the school community our family were active in for the decade previous. The Open Classroom is a co-op school, meaning parents help out teachers in class and are encouraged to bring something of their own to the whole-child learning experience. 

I thought about the young man who was graduating and how proud I was of him. He already looked like a high schooler in 2018, and he was ready for the next step.

I thought about our decision to send the boys to the OC. One of the knocks on the school felt by some parents (mostly parents who left the school before their kids graduated) was that it doesn't adequately prepare students for high school. The OC sidesteps traditional learning (especially in the middle school grades) for emphasizing planning, time management, creative problem solving, and positive relationships. 

Our decision paid off five months later when Michael, after his first quarter at a challenging Catholic high school, made the high honor roll. He might not admit this, but the skills he learned at the OC allowed him to thrive at Judge -- even though the environment and teaching approach was completely different. He hasn't dropped off the high honor roll since.

A month or so after his first quarter, Michael played his first high school basketball game. His freshman team played Olympus, one of the top programs in the state that "recruits" kids to play for the school (Utah is an open enrollment state). 

In his high school debut, Michael scored 24 points, and he and his teammates rallied to upset the formidable opponent. That would be the only loss Olympus would suffer the entire season. 

Michael had been playing AAU/club ball since he was 9, and one of the reasons you go that route is to prepare players to make their high school teams and do well. On that first night, 24 points (and two three-pointers) later, mission accomplished.

These three events -- graduation, honor roll, hoops debut -- are among the moments parents live for. Part of it is the pride you feel for your children. Part of it is the work you put in as parents. I realize that sounds a bit haughty, but it what fueled me when I didn't feel like co-oping or was shelling out money for another pair of basketball shoes. 

And sometimes, you don't get the big payoff -- the hard work produces minor accomplishments. Those are great, too, because they are your child's accomplishments, and every little one counts. Most parents would go extra miles and miles just to improve their kids' lives by 1 percent. The journey is what matters -- but when the destination is fantastic, the journey feels all the more incredible.

More moments such as these are coming, probably for decades. Already, Ben made the high honor roll in his first semester in high school, and he swam impressively at his first high school swim meet.

I guess I did keep bragging. But I'll never stop bragging about Michael and Ben. They've been worth every minute of everything I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice