The lost Halloween

With Halloween upon us, I was having a conversation with a co-worker on trick-or-treating as a kid and started to reminisce the last year I did go around the neighborhood and the first year I didn't.

Here's what the last trick-or-treating venture was like -- I went with a couple friends on a journey for a house where an owner of a taffy apple company supposedly lived. Though it wasn't too far (and we never got taffy apples), it was out of the way enough that walking home, I trick-or-treated more houses than a 10-year-old should. I was dressed as a vampire that Halloween. When I got home, I went with some of my other, older friends to a high school football game (thinking back, was that a playoff game for the high school I'd eventually attend?), got my hand on a field goal kick after it went through the uprights, and had one friend take by force a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup (crunchy) after I waffled on giving it to him. That was 1980.

Here's what the first year I didn't trick-or-treat was like -- I guess I outgrew dressing up, though the next year I would be costumed as a wizard though I didn't hit the neighborhood. It was the year of the big Tylenol cyanide scare in Chicago, so there wasn't much trick-or-treating anyway. I stayed home that Sunday and gave out candy to just a few trick-or-treaters, and remembered hearing "Who Can It Be Now?" on the radio that afternoon in my living room while manning the candy (I guess I wasn't watching football, wait it was the strike year!). That was ... 1982?

Yes, there's a whole Halloween in there I don't remember. Did I not dress up in 1981 and just forgot I hadn't? Or did I and just have forgotten any memory of the costume or if I trick-or-treated? And it's not like that I blocked out that fall from my memory, either -- I would get an Atari for my birthday a week later, and that I remember vividly (but that's for another post). So what did I do that year? It's bugging me, because usually my memory for things like this unusually lucid, yet not for Halloween 1981.

I do have one thought on that year -- maybe I dressed up as an amnesia victim and took the part too literally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody did it better

Seems like yesterday, but it was long ago

Another Saturday night, and I ain't got nobody