Summer 2014, day 52; Vacation, day 6

I had heard the rumors that the Wisconsin summer was a continuation of the horrendous winter that made the Midwest miserable this year. Sure enough, the temperature barely got above 60 degrees all day Tuesday. But we still managed a fun day.

After running in the morning on the Merrill High School track, I was feeling a little antsy in the afternoon. I was determined to get a little bit of a North Woods experience, so I piled the boys and my niece into the car to look for Lookout Mountain, the second-highest point in Wisconsin and near Merrill. The Maps app on my phone wasn't that helpful -- it took us way out of the way at first, then tried turning us onto a private road. We did stop at one set of trails and should have gone for a longer hike there, but the bugs were bad and I was still obsessing about finding Lookout Mountain. We ended up finding Otter Lake, where got out of the car and admired the lake (it was way too cold to go in the water). So we got some North Woods, even just for a few minutes.

The evening was a little warmer, and we played disc golf at a park in Merrill and went for ice cream with the boys' cousins. Michael actually played rather well, and Ben had fun. We got back, and I watched the All-Star Game before coming outside on the patio to work and write.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice