Summer 2021, Day 54; California vacation, Day 4

I didn't sleep well last night. Between the wine, too much food, and just feeling kind of exhausted (but happy exhausted, my body rebelled -- at about 1 a.m. I thought I was going to throw up. I didn't, thankfully, and eventually fell asleep.

This morning, I got breakfast with some coworkers (the company always springs for breakfast on retreat Tuesday). The rest of the morning and afternoon was free time -- no events planned. Lori, Ben, and I walked around the grounds and made it down to the ocean and rocky beach the resort has. I kind of wish Ben and I would have embarked on a longer hike north of the resort, but we never quite got around to it. Instead, Ben and I, and Michael for a little while, hung out by the pool, both the one outside our room and the bigger pool with the water slide. 

Basically, our company took over the 13+ pool -- I bet at one time that at least half of the retreat attendees were hanging out by it, drinking, socializing, and enjoying the great weather. Several coworkers commented that Ben looks like a carbon copy of me. I went down the water slide three times, once scraping my back on the bottom of the splash pool. The boys and I ordered burgers poolside, and I drank a couple beers with coworkers.

After I shower, I headed down to the last dinner of the retreat, which included a fun magic show and more good food. Tonight, I was smarter by having just one glass of wine. After the festivities ended, I walked back to the room to get my wireless headphones -- I wanted to walk down to the ocean and look at the waves. The ocean was cool, but I opened the headphone case to find the buds weren't there because Michael wore them to bed (the family was asleep early again). I took my time and walked back up to the balcony, where at least 30 coworkers were still hanging out drinking. I stayed for about 30 minutes and then returned to the room.

I'm going to miss everybody so much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice