A little busier

For the last 16 months, I've been working part-time, 2-3 nights a week.

I'm about to bump up to 3-4 nights.

My earlier situation was not permanent, and a hole at the newspaper opened up that was, but at an extra day per week. I'd been working three nights seemingly every weeks for the past few months anyway, so we decided to give this a try.

When I racheted my schedule down, it was with the hope I'd pick up alternative sources of income -- freelance editing and writing. Having those two days of work made me somewhat complacent, where I wasn't seeking that out. I'm hoping the extra day is the impetus to look beyond the newspaper for work. It's an odd catalyst, but I don't particularly want to work more out of the house. We should be OK for the summer, as I'm not picking up that many more days and it would be nice to bank a lot of this extra money. We'll reassess come September, but for now, this is the plan -- work more to work the schedule that benefits us the most.

I figured this out: I'm losing about 12 summer nights, and I love summer nights. It's my responsibility to make sure those 12 less nights with my family are worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice