Silver bullets

(In an effort to blog more on days where I don't feel much like recapping my day, I'm going to bring back the random top five list.)

TOP 5 BOB SEGER SONGS

Don't ask why this popped into my head as a blog topic. I got to thinking about it after hearing an old WLS aircheck that included "Horizontal Bop" and one thing led to another to this point.

1. Against the Wind: One of my favorite songs, not just by Seger. I may have written about this song before: The singer reflects on the passage of time and how much he's learned and how much he hasn't. My favorite line: "Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out" -- essentially what I do as a newspaper copy editor.

2. Roll Me Away: Follows the usual Bob Seger theme of finding what's lacking in one's life, and how it's a journey that might never reach a conclusion. Used to perfection at the end of "Mask."

3. Traveling Man/Beautiful Loser: These two songs are paired on a live album, and it's a curious pairing -- one song is about someone afraid to settle down, the other is the opposite, about someone afraid to take a chance. I wonder if he paired them purposely or if they just melded together musically.

4. Night Moves: The song that launched other Seger songs about the same reflection on life, the amazement on how quickly it's gone. For years, I thought the line "How far off I sat and wondered" was "Hopped on a rock I sat and wondered." Wife still makes fun of me for that.

5. Rambling Gambling Man: Just a fun rock song, a good break in concert I would imagine when he gets too serious.

Finally, the three Bob Seger songs I could never hear again and not be sad: "Old Time Rock 'n' Roll" (which probably wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so overplayed, blame Tom Cruise for that), "Understanding" and "Shakedown."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice