Summer 2021: Day 23; Midwest Vacation: Day 2

As I went to sleep last night, the conflict that raged in my brain was whether to wake up early and run or sleep in. 

I woke up on my own at 6:30 -- really 5:30 on Mountain time. But darkness had fled and it felt like morning, so I roused myself, put in my contact lenses and on my running shoes, and got out the door for a run.

After weeks of running at 4,500-plus feet, running at 4,000 feet lower felt great. However, I was rained on for almost the entire workout through Caldwell Woods and Bunker Hill. I got back soaked but in a good mood. I took a shower, and Dad took me to get the rental car in Evanston. Ben and I did a quick repack and departed for Wisconsin.

We stopped at Kopp's in Milwaukee and enjoyed another Midwestern culinary masterpiece -- a Kopp's double cheeseburger followed by a scoop of Cookies 'n' Cream frozen custard. The first half of the drive up north went quick, and we stopped for gas and RCs at a station outside New London. But then, we hit a massive rainstorm after Clintonville that slowed us down.

Eventually, we reached Three Lakes and my in-laws' duplex. After dinner, Ben and I went to find Klarbrunn's sparkling water in Eagle River. I bought a six-pack of beer and needed to run to Dollar General to get a bottle opener. 

I'm winding down now and need to get the inflatable bed set up. The rain today was a nice change after experiencing the drought in Utah, but I'm ready for a sunny Wednesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice