Driving or sputtering

For a long time now, I've been wanting to start a GenX blog (I posted about this last year, lamenting that I couldn't come up with a name). Unfortunately, I haven't achieved that goal.

I have been writing more, which I'm happy about, but I find myself not reaching the writing and work goals that I've set for myself. Have I lost the drive to use my most prolific and enjoyable talent? Is parenthood simply taking precedent, preventing me from finding the time? Am I simply lazy? Am I too tired? Am I worried about failing? Is the thought of starting this and the slacking off too daunting?

I'm not sure what the answer is. I do know that I seem to be getting closer to launching the blog. I've been thinking about potential posts constantly. I've been investigating how to design the blog I want to design on WordPress (sorry, Blogger, I'm ditching you for my next blog). I'm closer to coming up with a name.

What I haven't done is ... start.

That post from last year lamenting I couldn't come up with a name was last April. I was writing other posts leading up to launching the new blog as well. But along the way, my grand designs came to a gradual halt. That was almost a year ago. I'm getting antsy with myself.

After seeing Michael Franti in January, I printed off a lyric from one of his songs ("Hey Hey Hey"):

Don't let nobody ever tell you that it couldn't be done

The printout, in an early '80s video game font, is on the wall above the Wrigley Field panoramic print above my desk. I need to look at it more often in the coming days while I get this new blog off the ground. It's time to be driving, not sputtering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice