Summer 2019: Day 70, Vacation Day 9

All the sodas from the night before, probably coupled with still being a little overtired, kept me awake deep into the night. I didn't necessarily feel feverish or blah, but I woke up after about a half-hour after dozing off and, for the life of me, couldn't fall back asleep. But I was determined not to be relegated to another indoor day, so after a breakfast bagel, Michael and I drove to Cantigny Park in Wheaton to visit the First Division Museum.


Chicago expressways are as fun and terror-filled as ever (thankfully, I drove out to DuPage County instead of Michael ...), but we made it there at about 11 and spent a couple hours at the military museum. The displays were incredibly detailed and interactive, and Michael loved the collection of tanks on the grounds. We found a Costco and fill up the tank on the RAV and get a quick $1.50 hot dog, then wound our way to I-90 to take a different way home and avoid the copious construction on the Tri-State and Kennedy.

Sisters Julie and Megan made it into town Friday afternoon, and the whole extended family walked to Dakota 94, a new restaurant in Edgebrook, for dinner. The appetizers were amazing, and the bison burger I ordered was decent. Somehow, the kids were still hungry for ice cream, so we walked to The Chocolate Shoppe afterward. This place always is uniquely themed with decorations and artwork that changes periodically, and the current theme was "Mad World" and oddly included a video screen spouting what I think was a 9/11 conspiracy. Weird indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice