Solstice through the sprinklers

My annual tradition that began 15 years ago continues today -- I'm writing from the hillside in Donner Park, waiting for the sunset, reflecting on the year. But about 30 yards in front of where I put my blanket down, the sprinklers turned on, and I'm wondering if a row of sprinklers exactly where I'm sitting is next.

The sprinklers might be a good metaphor for 2022. There's a sense of uneasiness in front of what lies beyond. I pondered last year how the pandemic and political chaos had distorted time, and unfortunately, that didn't let up. I also thought about how Lori and I were in the homestretch of parenting kids. Well, in a blink of an eye, another year ticked off.

So much excitement looms. Michael starts college in August, and Ben is evolving into maybe a Division I swimmer. My job turn a turn into everything I wanted from the position. As a family, we seem less stressed -- not that we were overwhelmed before, but at a nice, acceptable degree of peace. 

But I get nervous about the future. I don't know what empty nesting will bring. Popcorn is up to 11 and still full of energy, but the inevitable is out there. A recession seems imminent, and I'm afraid 2024 and 2025 will truly suck for our nation. As a result, there's a little bit of me that thinks, enjoy this time while it lasts, because it might not ...

That said, the present is full of opportunity. I have a six-week paid leave coming up, and as much as I wanted to fill it full with travel and adventures, we're mostly staying close to home. Besides reliving an early '80s summer and writing like crazy, I'm looking at this as a great reset. It's so cliche to think I'll be starting a new phase in life, but at the very least, I'm taking these six weeks to gear up for what's ahead. I have to approach that with optimism and enthusiasm. I'm not sure what the future holds, but I can take advantage of the now knowing there is potential and joy to be found.

The sun just went under the horizon. The longest day of the year is concluding. And though I had my shoes on and was ready to pick up and run if necessary, the sprinklers didn't get me.

PAST SOLSTICE POSTS


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice