Summer 2016: Day 102

I'm not declaring summer over yet, but the school break part of it ends in the morning. The boys are back in school in about nine hours after another long yet fast, busy yet glorious summer.

There weren't too many last-day-of-summer urgencies today. Both boys are still a little worn out from the trip. Michael had a basketball workout this morning; Ben hung out with his best friend. We watched the Olympics and "The Simpsons." I took Ben and Popcorn for a little hike to the H Rock to watch the sunset, and Ben met a new friend -- a 10-year-old girl named Cathy, but whom he called Christina when he said goodbye (that's going to get him in big trouble someday ...). We Skyped with my dad, and the boys went to bed soon afterward. I'm out on the porch after watching some classic music videos I had DVRd.

Though I'm sad to see summer come to an end, I'm craving the return to a routine. I reset my job, pretty much my life, right at the end of the school year, and then never seemed to get as organized as I hoped as the summer set in and the nuttiness abounded. I want to begin seriously cruising with the new role at work. I want to start working out again. I want to track my meals and start losing the weight that I had lost and put back on over the past 20 months. I want to find time for the other things -- board games, writing, organization -- that in the happy chaos of summer (and the malaise before that) I couldn't delineate.

And, in what is a familiar theme for me, I want the next school year to go slower. Last year was such a blur because it felt like I was in survival mode, trying to get from one day to the next, one co-op shift at school to the next, one week to the next, and one month to the next intact. I've been sleeping like such a baby since the reset; it's almost like my body is recovering from the stressful winter. Now to take that one step further.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice