Summer 2020: Days 29-31

Another workweek began after a nice weekend. Pandemic and mad world notwithstanding, this summer is shaping up to be not so bad.

Saturday started with a run, followed by taking Ben to swim practice and then the Wendy's drive-through, followed by a nap and then some work cleaning out the patio. I wrote my annual solstice post at sunset, then drove around a little ... and found myself becoming annoyed after my previous optimism. Basically, I was pissed that the all the progress we made with the pandemic is being flushed down the toilet because people, well, suck. Their selfishness is killing my summer plans, and the anger started to boil as I drove up to gaze at the lights in and across the valley.

My high school friends and I have been meeting for a virtual happy hour every Saturday, and they were great at letting me vent and talking me down from my anger. I went to bed not as pissed.

Father's Day was simply tremendous. Lori made me an egg/bagel sandwich for breakfast, and after Ben's swim practice, the three of us (Michael was working) drove up Little Cottonwood Canyon. We walked around a little at Alta and Snowbird but didn't hike -- but it didn't matter because just staring at the scenery was enough to boost my mood. Ben and I put together a dice tower he got me for Father's Day, and then I lounged in the yard and enjoyed/shivered through a brief water fight with him. I grilled burgers for dinner, and we watched "1917" (Michael's present to me). Michael and I walked the dog, and Ben and I concluded the day with a game of Ticket to Ride (I won!).

I ran this morning and worked all day. The next few weeks are going to be sort of crazy, but I have a plan. Vacation is four weeks away, and I have list of staycation ideas (including hikes -- we need to get into the mountains more).

Popcorn and I went for a nice walk to wrap up the Monday. I'm sleepy and might turn in early -- and that's a sign of a busy summer day and weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice