Summer 2020: Days 10-11

I'm blogging from an unusual place tonight -- a grassy patch in the parking lot of the sports complex where Michael is practicing, way out on the industrial west side of Salt Lake City.

The city enacted a curfew from 8 p.m.-6 a.m. through next Monday, and though driving to a business and driving home are allowed under the terms of the curfew, I didn't want Michael to deal with worrying about it. I would hate for his first time being pulled over to occur during all this. His team doesn't want parents inside the facility for basketball practice, so I'm camped outside here on a patch of grass, on a gorgeous evening, enjoying the relative quiet of an industrial neighborhood.

I walked the dog this morning so I won't have to do more than take her around the block when I get home. Yesterday, I just took her around the block a couple times. I'm sure I'd be OK walking her on a leash after curfew in our sleepy neighborhood, but I'm fine to do my part to try to make the chaos a little less chaotic.

I ran yesterday morning, which felt great again, and needed to buy a hose at Home Depot after ours exploded. I'm so ready to not do much away from the house this week. I took Ben to swim practice today and I'm writing here from the west west side, which I don't mind (though my phone overheated while I was trying to work in the JCC parking lot), but if I avoided stores the rest of the week, I wouldn't mind. Eventually, we'll need to go grocery shopping, but that can wait until the weekend.

The rollercoaster of emotions from the unrest and anger our country is experiencing is cutting into my work productivity. A little surprisingly, I worrying less about the virus and more about the riots. I vacillate between the situation is calming down and believing we're in for a long, ugly, sad summer. I may not come to a place of solace on that anytime soon, but at least for tonight, I can enjoy the sunset, watch cars on I-215 pass by, and hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice