Summer 2015: Day 9

The heat is back after a long hiatus, but I'm not complaining. We turned on the AC yesterday, and though we aren't running it at night (Lori and I both still like having the windows open as much as we can), it's provided some relief. The boys had swim practice in the indoor pool, and I sat by the outdoor pool and worked. This may sound dreary, mixing leisure time with work, but it was actually nice to earning a living while wearing swim trunks. Unfortunately, the wind picked up and blew some clouds in front of the sun, and I put my shirt back on and never actually jumped in the pool. No matter -- I still got a lot done all day (not just at the pool).

We returned home to the Ramona Avenue block party, which was in full swing. The boys and I didn't stay too long, but we did eat and congregate with our neighbors. Took the dog on a good walk in the comfortable evening air. I'm now on the porch finishing up some writing before going to bed.

Today was June 1, and I had a realization that was a bit sobering: Michael is seven years away from college. As the summer hits it stride, we have about four good years -- four good summers -- before he becomes a disinterested high schooler. We have six with Ben. As a family, we need to make these years really count. We've had some great summer memories over the past decade. It's time to make some more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer, Day 8

Vacation finale

Nine days after the solstice